Due to the variety of systems, the SaarLorLux region poses a challenge for public transport systems
Under the leadership of the UITP, a steering committee was formed within the framework of a Franco-German / Luxembourgian Project to examine the potential of a feasible cross boarder passenger Transport system on the basis of common regimentation in the SaarLorlux area by use of three-system rail vehicles.
In France and Luxembourg there are no building and operating regulations for Streetcars, or for the combined usage of railway lines, comparable to the German BOStrab regulations and/or to the LNTR-guidelines which are applied in Germany. There is interest in the removal of the obstacles in trans-national traffic and in the standardization of the rail traffic. In the last years several new LRT systems started operation in France and, at present, there is a plan to introduce a LRT system on the basis of a in two-system vehicle in Luxemburg.
The following consulting services were provided:
- Preparation of a status-quo overview, an analysis of an basic comparison of existing standards, regulations and guidelines for the countries Germany, France and Luxembourg
- Project management for the steering committee
- Project management, co-ordination, consultation and support of the working groups, safety philosophy concept, education and training, fire protection, collision impact protection
- Preparation of a common specification for a LRT vehicle for the border area SaarLorLux
- Call for tender and evaluation of proposals
Contact Dipl.-Ing. Erwin Strohm - nl.leipzig(at)railconsult.de